It seems like my schedule just keeps getting busier and busier. With school functions, gymnastics meets, running a banquet hall and maintaining my home I try to carve out a little “me” time at least a couple times a month.
One of my favorite things to do is hanging out with my girlfriends over a bottle of wine and some good food. We can just shoot the breeze for hours about every topic changing the subject midway through a conversation and then picking up right where we left off. It’s usually a few weeks between our visits so we are never short on words.
I was invited to a friend’s house for an impromptu get-together a couple of weeks ago. As always I asked what I could bring…she said an appetizer and wine of course. Usually the appetizers at these get-togethers consist of fatty dips and cheese platters served with crackers, chips and bread. They are usually high in calories and high in carbs and I almost always eat way too much. I was bound and determined to bring something that was a little healthier but still delicious and of course pretty. So the wheels in my head began to turn. I really wanted to bring something that I wouldn’t feel as guilty eating but would still taste yummy. I came up with this delicious cucumber finger food, Mediterranean Cucumber Cups.
Cucumbers are the perfect low calorie, low carb vessel for just about anything but I was thinking of a tangy feta cheese filling with a little salad of olives, tomatoes and cucumber. I just happened to have all of these ingredients in my pantry and refrigerator.
The dish was a huge hit with my girlfriends and was the first appetizer to go. I’ll definitely keep this healthy treat on the shelf for the future.
- 1 English cucumber
- ¼ cup sliced Kalamata olives
- ¼ cup chopped roasted red peppers or pimentos
- ¼ diced tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon finely diced purple onion
- ¼ cup feta cheese crumbles
- ¼ cup softened cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Peel four strips down the cucumber. Cut the ends of the cucumber off and discard. Cut the cucumber into 16 equal pieces (about ¾ inch thick). Carefully carve seeds out of the center using a small melon baller or a small measuring spoon. Set aside
- Mix vegetables and herbs together in a small bowl and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Remove 2 tablespoons of the vegetable mixture, finely chop and set aside.
- Mix the feta and cream cheeses together and add the 2 tablespoons of finely chopped vegetables. Combine the cheese and the veggies together.
- Divide mixture between the 16 cucumber cups. Place on a pretty serving plate and sprinkle the remaining vegetable mixture over the cucumbers. You may add a little more parsley, salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil if you choose before serving.
Nutrition: WWSP 1; Calories 47; Total Fat 3.8g; Saturated Fat 2.1g; Trans Fat 0.0g; Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 101mg; Potassium 83mg; Total Carbohydrates 2.4g; Dietary Fiber 0.6g; Sugars 0.9g; Protein 1.5g