Sometimes, simple food is the best food.
(Okay, most of the time).
This Sunny Avocado Toast is the epitome of simple…fresh, buttery California Avocados, whole grain bread, farm fresh eggs and a few seasonings. Start to finish, this dish takes fifteen minutes or less. The trick to making this absolutely mouthwatering is hands down the quality of ingredients. Make sure you’re using the best you can get your hands on…it’s so worth it!
This is my favorite brunch dish at a wonderful little restaurant in my hometown. If you’re ever in Edmonds, Washington, you must make a trip to Salt and Iron and try their brunch. But if you’re not in the area, trust me, make this at home. The red pepper flake and lemon are a must, don’t skip them! Just adjust the red pepper flake to your taste.
I prefer Sunny Avocado Toast with an over easy egg, but you do you. If you’re a poached egg lover, go for it! Don’t like eggs? The plain avocado toast with the bite from the red pepper flake and lemon is exquisite. Truly a perfect bite. Enjoy!
- 4 slices of your favorite grainy bread (I used Ezekiel Bread)
- 4 eggs
- 2 California avocados
- red pepper flakes
- sea salt
- 2 teaspoons butter or ghee
- 1 fresh lemon
- Halve and scoop out your avocados. Slice into strips or mash, whatever you like. Set aside.
- Heat your egg pan and melt the butter or ghee.
- Throw your bread in the toaster.
- Fry your eggs to your preferred doneness. I think over easy is the best, personally, I like the way the yolk mixes with the avocado!
- When your bread pops up, place each slice on a plate.
- Arrange your avocado on the bread, then sprinkle each slice with red pepper flake, sea salt and pepper.
- Squeeze a bit of lemon juice over the avocado.
- When the eggs are ready, gently place one atop each avocado toast.
- Eat immediately! Yum!
Nutrition: Calories 350; Total Fat 26.9g; Saturated Fat 7.0g; Trans Fat 0.0g; Cholesterol 169mg; Sodium 231mg; Potassium 547mg; Total Carbohydrates 21.5g; Dietary Fiber 8.8g; Sugars 2.8g; Protein 10.5g