Recently, I decided I wanted to find another way to incorporate my beloved California Avocados into my morning meal. I’ve done avocado in smoothies (super creamy!) and on top of omelettes. But I was craving something a bit different. I love pancakes, but usually feel kind of sluggish after eating them, especially if they’re sweet. So I decided to put some healthy fat into my pancakes…avocado. I skipped sugar since I’m a savory breakfast kind of girl and decided on some avocado cornmeal pancakes.
These avocado cornmeal pancakes are full of texture and studded with lime zest. I made them dairy free using coconut oil and almond milk.
Could these be taken to the sweet side? I bet they’d be awesome topped with some vanilla yogurt and berries. But I like mine with some freshly mashed, perfectly ripe avocado and my favorite salsa.
Whip these avocado cornmeal pancakes up for a fun take on brunch. Or lunch. Or dinner. They’re quite tamale-esque and could even be served with a nice side of beans!
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 avocado
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 1/3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 cup of cornmeal
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
Step by Step
- Throw the lime juice and zest, the scooped out avocado and the almond milk into the blender, process till smooth.
- Whisk up the eggs in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the avocado puree to the eggs, along with the melted coconut oil and whisk well.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Heat a griddle to medium-high heat.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle and smooth it into a round shape.
- Cook the pancakes for 3-4 minutes, flipping once, until both sides are golden brown.
- To serve, top a stack of hot pancakes with some freshly mashed avocado mixed with a bit of lime juice and salt and your favorite salsa!
Nutrition: Calories 335; Total Fat 18.8g; Saturated Fat 7.2g; Trans Fat 0.0g; Cholesterol 123mg; Sodium 210mg; Potassium 599mg; Total Carbohydrates 36.7g; Dietary Fiber 6.0g; Sugars 1.1g; Protein 8.5g