Last week a package arrived at my doorstep. A lovely box that I hadn’t seen for about six months. When I came home and saw it sitting on the porch in all it’s glory, my heart did a little leap.
What, you say, could create such joy?
A big ole box of fresh California Avocados, that’s what. They’re back in season and I could not be happier!
I wanted to share a really easy and delicious way that I like to use avocados – this recipe really highlights California avocados in their simplest and most perfect form…freshly sliced and buttery smooth, with a sprinkling of salt. Avocados and eggs are a natural pairing and this breakfast tostada is a great, healthy choice to start your day. It comes in at just under 300 calories and is chock full of protein, fiber and healthy fats.
This recipe is designed to serve one, but you can double, triple, quadruple it to serve a bunch of people for an easy brunch. Load the eggs up with more veggies, like spinach or mushrooms, for a bulkier (but still healthy) dish.
I like to eat my breakfast tostada with a bunch of really good fresh salsa and some strong coffee. It’s the best way to start the day!
- 1/2 California Avocado
- 1/3 cup egg whites
- 2 tablespoons diced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion (more for garnish if you like)
- 1 tablespoon sharp shredded cheddar
- salt and pepper
- 1 small tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 corn tortilla
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- Warm up a nonstick skillet over medium high heat (use the smallest you have).
- Add 1/2 the olive oil (1 teaspoon) to the skillet and add the bell pepper and green onions.
- Cook, stirring, for a minute or so till slightly tender.
- Pour the egg whites over the vegetables, season with salt and pepper. Cook until starting to firm, then flip. Cook for a few more moments till eggs are done.
- Flip the eggs out of the pan and set aside.
- Put the skillet back over the heat and add the remaining olive oil.
- Throw your tortilla into the hot oil. Let it sizzle for a few moments on one side, then flip and cook the other side. I like my tortilla warmed but still soft. You can cook it however you like!
- Place the tortilla on a plate, then top with the eggs. Sprinkle with cheese, tomato and green onion, then add the grand finale...sliced avocado. Sprinkle the avocado with a bit of salt to finish.
- Serve with hot sauce or salsa!
Nutrition: Calories 289; Total Fat 17.8g; Saturated Fat 4.1g; Trans Fat 0.0g; Cholesterol 8mg; Sodium 147mg; Potassium 693mg; Total Carbohydrates 21.0g; Dietary Fiber 6.5g; Sugars 4.3g; Protein 14.0g